Saturday, September 27, 2008

Rut or Routine?

I think one of the reasons I became a teacher is because I thrive on routine. There is a beginning and an end, 5 days in the week, class periods, grading periods, desks in rows or groupings, lesson plans, daily schedule, classroom procedures.....I used to peg routine people (myself included) as boring and non-spontaneous, however, the more I read and the more I learn, I realize that some routine actually releases us to be spontaneous, adventurous; in the "zone" so to speak.

One of my favorite movies is Hoosiers. When faced with a challenging team and critical community, Coach Norman Dale says he's gonna "break the boys down and then build 'em back up." They had been under leadership that lacked discipline, fundamentals, and hard work. As you watch the movie, you see the boys go from being frustrated, angry, and belligerent to a group of young men, that once they believed and lived within the "system", it freed them up to really let loose and play with abandon...

The flip side of this is watching a team play that is so regimented and routine that they "don't know what to do when they don't know what to do". They are so programmed to 'run the play' that if one person is in the wrong spot, or the ball is mishandled, they freeze up and thus end up "choking". It is painful to watch, believe me...

Routine and "plays" are good as a framework, but maybe when we start "choking" in life situations, or feeling merely bored, we need to assess whether we are in a routine or in a rut. Are we being 'ruled, or released'?

It all started when I went to the fabric store the other day with my daughter and my mom. We were looking for material for a Halloween costume (this is where grandmas come in!) I hadn't been to a fabric store in years. Maybe a craft store, but not a bona fide fabric store. I was amazed at the energy in there. A group of people were in the back corner participating in a sewing class; you couldn't find a seat to even look through the pattern books, and there were actually high school kids (boys and girls) wandering around looking at material. (Remember Halloween is just around the corner. Hey at least they're planning ahead.) I left there thinking I really needed to get a sewing machine, take some classes, and shoot, I could save a lot of money if I made the kids clothes... (Don't worry, I came to my senses within the hour!) The point being, I do have some creativity that I had forgotten about. I went home and got out my 35 mm Rebel 2000 in order to take some pictures of Todd playing soccer this week (coming soon). Then I thought about other ways to get out of a rut. Maybe I should walk my "routine walking route (or rut)" backwards; the route that is, not me personally walking backwards :) I was amazed at how everything looked different. Houses that I had never noticed, trees, the way the street curved around the bend. It was cool. It got me to thinking about other areas that I have just "always done that way". I don't know about you, but I tend to shop at the same stores, eat at the same restaurants, drive the same way to and from school when taking the kids, listen to the same music, wear the same clothes (fyi: did you know that most people wear 20% of their clothes 80% of the time??), fix the same meals, go out with the same friends. So, I am on a mission to "mix it up a bit"; call an audible, color outside the lines, eat somewhere besides Beef A Roo. If I get really crazy I might just get rid of my beloved, lime green; holey hoodie :) It will have to be replaced immediately, however! So, what branch are you going to go out on?? Here are some ideas to get you started:

Drive a different way to work

Learn and try a new recipe (if you already do this; then it doesn't count!)

Try a new restaurant

Rearrange your furniture

If you only read fiction, try non-fiction and vice versa

Buy a new CD

Take up a new or old hobby

Try new fashion statement

A new hairstyle

Instead of going out, invite people over...

Have fun, and let me know how it goes...

8 comments:

Sharron said...

Hey Cindy! Some cool ideas. I am getting a haircut Tuesday.......guess I could walk on the wild side there! But, me and my hair are pretty tight! Maybe another area.
I have a machine and used to make all my daughter's clothes but now sewing just makes me nervous. I do mending and that is about it. I plan to check out the church library tomorrow and try something different. I agree....we do get in rutts. The biggest one I get in is the clothes issue. I totally agree about the 20%/80% stats. I desperatly need to work on that. You have given me food for thought.
Onward and upward.

Blessings!
SHarron

Kari said...

Drive a different way to work?!? Are you crazy!! The world might never be the same! (smile!) Get rid of my favorite hoodie - you'll have to peel it out of my white fisted knuckles! (wink!) LOL!

For serious...this definitely has me thinking about where i can get out of my ruts b/c i know I have several. I'm a creature of habit to my core!

I'm going to try new restaurants! And wear I new shirt! And read a biography! And walk a different route! And... And... Okay, maybe i'm getting carried away but I will try something new this week & let you know how it goes :)

Great post!!!

Karen said...

Great post to get us thinking! I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch almost 7 days a week! Maybe I can try to "shake it up" a bit.

Karen

Z-girl said...

Hi, Cindy! Great post...call me weird, but Fall always feels like a fresh start to me, and a good time to bust up the ruts and routines. Maybe I will actually get my blog going. I busted my social rut this fall by getting involved in a new small group (reading "Just Walk Across The Room" by Hybels) and 2 book clubs. The first is reading Nancy Ortberg's new book, Searching For God, and the other is reading Twilight this month. So, mixing up the reading a bit. Now I need to bust up a work rut and find some new jobs for my design business. Ugh...sales is not my forte. Thanks for laying out the challenge!

Dianne said...

Great ideas, Cindy. I actually walked a different route this afternoon and you are right! You get a whole new perspective. Maybe I'll mix up some other routines. Thanks for the suggestions.

cherie said...

Cindy,
I love this post. It seemed to be exactly what I needed to hear this morning. After 3 years of retirement, I am learning that I need a schedule to really accomplish much and to feel good. Great examples and motivation. Also, mixing it up, helps me to live in the moment and notice and enjoy things instead of operating out of habit and in a blur. Now if we were just closer to share a cup of coffee and discuss it all. Thanks for the lift.
Love,
Cherie

Sharron said...

Good morning, Cindy. Not hearing much from your part of the world. I guess you are very busy with school and such. I am sure the weather is getting cooler in that part of the state. Hope all is well for you and family.
God bless!
Siesta Sharron

Becky said...

I read your post and started reading your suggestions and realized how little structure I live in. The only thing I don't do is change my hair style and that's just because I'm lazy. So if I read your post backwards I can come the conclusion that what I need to do is add some structure and routine to my life so then maybe I wouldn't feel so crazy all of the time! : )

Becky